Skip to main content

dirt digging

Well, I've planted all but one of the items we ordered a LONG time ago from a nursery. They divided the order into three boxes. The first one to arrive, a kiwi VINE (silly me thought it would be a shrub/tree) is still sitting on the kitchen table. The other two boxes arrived this morning and all are now in the ground and watered. And I am EXHAUSTED. (Healthy eating doesn't help a whole lot when you're drastically out of shape.)

While I was planting the English walnut trees, I saw this word I didn't remember seeing when I ordered: grafted. And that gave me pause. Several years ago we purchased an English walnut that died back the first year but then came back. I rejoiced. And then this year it produced its first fruit...three pods of BLACK (not English walnuts). Evidently the tree was grafted into a Black walnut root. Sometimes that happens. Whatever the root of a graft is, if the graft dies for any reason, the plant that grows next will be whatever the original root was. So I'm hoping against hope that these two trees will NOT die and we WILL have English walnuts instead of black walnuts. In case you're wondering what the differences are, this might help:

Black walnuts fall off the tree with shell intact. Sometime the shell/hull must be broken off with the hammer.
(I actually ran over some with my car when we were given two bushels.)

And here is what you get when the shell/hull is removed. These must be broken open with a tight vise or hammer (see the first picture for what one completely open looks like). Black walnuts have a slightly bitter taste.
English walnuts are smaller and are supposed to peel open (like pecans do) on the tree when ripe. Inside you'll see this:

The nut itself.  I think these nuts are great in brownies and cakes (though pecans work okay, too).
Anytime I plant a fruit or nut tree, I think of my father-in-law. Unless a tree produced something to eat, he didn't see much a point in growing it. When all of his children got houses of their own, he planted (without asking) either pecan trees or fig trees in their yard. We still laugh about the day I came home from work and was headed down to the pond to feed the geese and walked straight into a stick. It wasn't there the day before! I stopped, looked around, and saw 6 bare sticks, about 6' tall, planted in a semi-circle around our backyard. Later that fall when we planted a maple and oak (and unbeknownst to me, a sweet gum...grrr!), he asked me if I was trying to audition for Better Homes and Garden or something. That still makes me laugh. When we planted two apples and a pear tree the next year, he nodded in approval. I will say that once we get a fig tree planted, I think our yard will be full. 

Well, and a trellis for the kiwi vine. Still not sure how I missed that!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut