Skip to main content

round and round and round and round

On Sunday mornings we've combined all three kids' classes for the first 5-10 minutes to work on a song, Only a Boy Named David. The middle of the chorus is "and round and round and round and round and round and round and round...." and my 4th-6th graders love to make fun of that (AND sing it over and over and over...even after the younger classes have gone).

And that's how a I feel about gardening.  Every year, by the end of June, I'm hating myself and wishing I had NOT planted a garden. And every year, by the end of December/first of January, I start thinking about what I could plant where and what I'd like to have. Then by the first of February I see a seed catalogue or get an announcement from a nursery online...and there I go again. round and round and round...

So here we are mid-March, and 3 of the 4 tomato seed sets I've planted are sprouting  (whoohoo!), and I'm still waiting on the peppers. Of course, it's not even been a week, so there's plenty of time before I pronounce them duds. (and here's where you'd cue Weazer from Steel Magnolias saying she doesn't even like tomatoes, but she grows them because that's what southern women do!  I actually do like to EAT tomatoes, but I hate growing them...they stink!)

Today I also have to dig out the incubator and make sure its thermometer and settings are working so we can start incing two goose eggs. Yes, I think it's now official. I have totally lost my mind.

And if that's not crazy enough, Hudson's Hardware starts selling chicks this week. The breeds I want aren't coming in until April, so I have enough time to talk myself into/out of that before then. I do want to head to AL in May, and having young birds for someone else to look after while we're gone for a week is not optimal.

That's the extent of my craziness, at least for the moment. Who knows what I'll come up with tomorrow?

Comments

Jennifer said…
had to laugh at your steele magnolias comment

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut