Skip to main content

three steps forward...and 20 jumps back

This weekend I updated some of the Quilting Page on this blog so my aunt could see a few of the things I've done. (We've not seen each other in a LONG time.)  I even entered the text for 2014, as I have two quilts that I need to finish/do ASAP. And since I was within a week of finishing one, it made sense to go ahead and enter the text so I could post pictures next week. Right?


So here we are, Monday night, and I have 3/4 of the quilt filled with basting pins, only to realize that the backing isn't straight. So now I have two options: unpin everything (which means undoing about 4 hours worth of work), or leave it the way it is. Actually, I have a third option: flip it over and see how bad it truly looks on the back before making a decision (and then hoping if it's livable looking at that I can straighten all three layers out on the unpinned section). 


I enjoy quilting. But it's these make or break moments, when I'm tired, when I just want to finish, when I know this is the crossroads of correcting a mistake and adding even more time to a long job or finishing the project and living with a mistake forever, that make me want to take up another hobby (or actually clean house)!


And while I was update the page, I kept thinking "I KNOW I did more quilting than this in 2013."  So as I start thinking back through projects, I realized why there's not as much to show: I post the finished project.  A finished quilt top is just one part of a quilt; it's not a completed project. So I have several quilt tops folded/hanging awaiting quilting time (and four other quilt tops from both this and previous years awaiting piecing), but since there not finished projects, they don't make it onto the quilt page.


Hopefully, by the end of this month, you will see a post reading: For today's post, see the Quilt Page.  But unfortunately, today is not that day.



Comments

Jennifer said…
Thats why I can't sew. I can't stand to have to rip something apart and sew it all over. Hope Jenna has better luck than I do. In answer to your comment on my post, I'm not sure about next year. Praying God will open something up for me or if not, I may be homeschooling one. It's all good. For once, I'm actually not worried.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut