Skip to main content

Monday, Monday

We lost our beautiful teenage rooster this weekend. I'm guessing a fox, though it could just have easily been a raccoon, possum, hawk or coyote. Despite the fact that he was the most beautiful rooster we've ever had, it will make it much easier on all the animals when we introduce our spring flock into the mix (because he won't be trying to establish dominance in the hen house).

And speaking of spring, we hauled our dilapidated push mower into the store this morning for servicing and repair work. It's hard to believe that in just a few weeks it will be time to cut grass and plant the garden. A small part of me wants to forget the garden completely, but the other part of me knows it's a wise thing to at least plant some of the foods we like. Who knows what I'll wind up with this year, or what will actually survive!

Tomorrow is one of those absolutely crazy days that make me question my sanity. It's election day in Garner. Although I'm usually a coordinator for several precicnts, since this is a small election the board is training back-up coordinators and I am "on call".  Basically, I get to get up at the normal election day time (4am) and be ready to roll at 6am EXCEPT this year I'm waiting on a phone call. If I don't receive a phone call by 9am, then I'm off the hook and free for the rest of the day. What we've not been told is whether or not we'll get paid for that day. :/

And I'm thankful. Buster brought us a rat into the garage this weekend, and last night he was playing with a mouse out in the yard. You'd think he was a cat. After he brought it to me last night, wanting to play fetch with it, while I'm trying to lock up the chickens, I totally expected to find it in the garage this morning. It wasn't there. I was so relieved. Now every time I see something in the shape of a pine cone (which he also likes to play with), I walk a wide arc around it. After two moles, one rat, and a mouse, a girl can't take too many chances, especially one who is not fond of varmin.

And since this is National Quilting Month, I'm hoping that I can actually get some quilting done before the month is half over. I've got my fingers crossed!

Comments

Jennifer said…
I don't know how you can stand the rats and mice! You are one strong woman

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut