Skip to main content

irony

Irony (besides the opposite of wrinkly)
  • asking 2 young men "Can I help you?" only to find out a few minutes later they were robbing your house
  • being told by a deputy "don't touch anything" while you have to sit and wait for 2 hrs and all you can see is housework that needs doing. (Do you know how many cobwebs are on my front porch?)
  • police asking a colorblind person what color truck the men were driving
  • a man having to reach across the book "Choosing Gratitude" to steal my jewelry box
  • being asked to describe one of the expensive rings I had, and the first word that came to my mind was "heinous"
  • having your house photographed for criminal files when you left it for the gym with dirty laundry sorted into piles on the floor, an unmade bed, and breakfast dishes still on the table
  • our "mean" rooster (everyone asks us if he's mean) taking all the grown hens into hiding in the field when the robbers came
  • laughter - Bobby and I giggling at the reaction those young men probably had upon coming in our huge house and seeing 2 televisions both over 20 years old and a 5 year old worn computer with cords running everywhere.  We're still dumbfounded they didn't steal any of the hundreds of books we have. (We said that to some relatives, and I think they thought we were serious. But seriously, you want to hit us where it hurts, take our books.) They didn't take any of the teddy bears, Granny's quilts, none of our bluegrass, Country, or Christian CDs, his 25 year old stereo, my 13 yr old sewing machine nor my huge fabric stash. Those boys obviously had no idea of what it takes to make life pleasing.
We did lose some things that hurt. His grandmother had some cheap bead necklaces. After her death a relative made them into beaded bracelets for all the grandchildren. There's no monetary value on it at all, but it meant the world to me. It's one of the few bracelets I actually wore. A cheap athlete's foot track pin means nothing to anyone else, but my now paralyzed husband won that one year in track and field. The pretty cuff links that weren't real gold or real stone? Those belonged to my father-in-law, who is now in heaven. A child's metal bracelet with the initials BB? That won't mean anything to anyone other than us. And who on earth wants a Cordova High School Class of 1991 class ring?

After the shock of what happened wore off, and the reality sunk in that they were holding my husband's loaded rifle when I pulled up (which they left in the garage... so thankful I didn't know that at the time!), all I could think was "Wood, hay, stubble" and how God is our protector and provider. I know that even if I had not come home from the gym early and they had trashed the place and taken every single item, God would still provide our needs. Even if they had hurt me instead of just fleeing, God would still be the protector of my soul and spirit. There are some things money can't buy and thieves can't steal. I've had to constantly remind myself of that fact since Monday as I hesitate to leave the house for fear they'll come back (the investigator says not likely since I can somewhat ID them and their vehicle) or resist the urge to check out every pickup that passes on the road. I have to focus on today and tomorrow, and not replay Monday morning at 10am in my head. I can't change anything; can't do anything any differently.

But I'm thankful more than ever for my husband/best friend. He truly makes an awesome teammate.


Comments

Jennifer said…
Monica, I can't believe this happened to you! I don't know what I would have done. You are a very strong person and I so admire you for that. I will be praying for you.
Lydia said…
Oh Monica!!!! I'm praising God right now for keeping you safe. I'm so sorry this happened but I love your outlook- you are choosing GRATITUDE!!!!
So sorry to hear about this but glad that everyone is safe and that you are viewing this fallen world through an eternal perspective. We'll be praying for you guys and let me know if you need someone to house-sit while you go out--I have a set of twins that will make so much noise that anyone will think there's a hundred people in the house. But long term I'd suggest a big dog. Just a little barking goes a LONG way ;-)
Melissa said…
I am so glad you are okay. That's scary!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut