Skip to main content

my fuzzies, but not warm

Fuzziness, with all its delightfulness and cuteness and excitement, isn't always warm.

Saturday, right on cue, some of our eggs began to pipe. By the time I went to bed around midnight, I had two little balls of fluff outside in the brooder box and up to 7 eggs piping (the first crack they make, shaped like an x).  When I left for choir practice Sunday morning we had 4 little wet birds in the incubator, one which had a small hernia type problem that concerned me. That afternoon my wonderful mother-in-law went to our house (I wouldn't make it back home Sunday until about 8pm) and moved them to the brooder box (their fur is supposed to dry before removing them from the first heat source). Between its thrashing around in the incubator and the other biddies pecking at its wound, it didn't survive the night. Not a fuzzy feeling.

This is the first time we've hatched such a large quantity of eggs, and I'm a bit startled at how rough and tough these chicks are. All the manuals and forums tell you how gentle to be with the eggs and how they shouldn't be handled hardly at all. But, when they're in the nest with Momma, they are heaped one on top of the other (so she can sit on all of them), and when she turns them, she either slaps them with her foot or pecks at them with her beak. Neither of those things are exactly gentle.

Even though I know all that, it was still a bit shocking to watch these chicks kick their fellow eggmates around, crawl on them, even peck at their beaks as they try to break free from their shell. And this morning, after having six more hatch during the night and join the others in the incubator, one of my tiniest darlings died. The other chicks had a habit of sitting on its head, so I don't know if there was something wrong with it or if the cute little fuzzballs are actually angry birds and just killed it. I find the last possibility very disturbing.

We have three eggs left; one of them is trying to hatch now. Once things settle down a bit (and if I don't find another face-down non-moving biddie when I go out with the camera again), I will most definitely have pics coming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut