Skip to main content

just the facts

The whole situation concerning Trayvon Martin greatly bothers me, on so many levels. When something hits close to home, it's hard not to become passionate or emotional about it. But our justice system is not based on emotions or passion. So here's the questions I've had the last few weeks that the media is not answering while "reporting" the story.

1. What is the crime rate in the gated community where this tragedy took place?
2. Did Trayvon bear the same level of defensive wounds as the shooter? (I'm not talking about the fatal gun shot here; if there was a skirmish as the defendant claims and the police reports detail, he should have had some bruising/markings as well.)
3. What about his behavior was so suspicious?
4. Do the local and county police who investigated and found the situation to be within in the law have other complaints of racial basis lodged against them?

Anytime I hear a parent say "My child doesn't..." or "My children never..." I cringe. I've been around kids. I've taught school. I've NEVER seen a situation yet where a parent either should or did eat those words. Kids, even the ones with discipline and training, are kids. They make mistakes. They tell lies. They are disrespectful.. They are kids who are still learning how to operate in society.

I've also learned that grieving parents can come up with some of the most outlandish thoughts and ideas while grieving. It's almost as if the pain short-circuits the thought process. The first year I taught at WCA, some of the students were discussing a situation that happened a few years prior to my arrival. During a high school field trip, where students drove with parental permission (signed permission slips waiving the school of responsibility), two students began drag racing on the highway, leading to a crash that killed the driver of one vehicle and injured one of his passengers. The parents of the boy sued the school, the driver of the other vehicle, the car company, the insurance company, and anyone else they could remotely blame for their son's death. (The lawsuit against the car company was filed during my first year of teaching.) I could share other stories, also involving Christian parents who would not believe their children could/would do drugs, alcohol, date rape, etc only to be shocked when the evidence overwhelmingly stated the obvious (or at least what was obvious to everyone else.)

So when I hear the Martins make statements in the media saying "My child would never..." I hurt for them. The reality is, they weren't there. They don't know what their child did or didn't do. I don't want to think evil of the boy. I also hate to think someone randomly took the life of another. I do think everyone needs to take a deep breath, wait until ALL the facts are in, and then react in a way equal to what they are protesting.

Asking for justice while placing a bounty on the head of a person who has been cleared by two separate police organizations is not a cry for justice. Demanding an investigation for truth and the appropriate response to the truth is justice. But from the battle cries ("We won't be satisfied until this man is locked up.") I don't think people are truly seeking justice and truth as much as they are seeking revenge.

For example, there's been several "mistakes" (lies, should we say?) reported already, and yet the protests aren't denouncing those mistakes.
1. It was a white gunman shooting a black boy. Turns out it wasn't a white/black fight after all, but that didn't stop the racism cries. An African-American friend of the gunman states the teenager was over a foot taller than the gunman, so it wasn't the intimidation situation originally reported.
2. There was no way the shooting could have been self-defense. An attorney for the gunman, as well as his friend, listed the wounds sustained by the gunman. They wounds and stains attest to the possibility of a fight.
3. Trayvon Martin was a sweet kid who was never in trouble. This morning someone from his area released info to the media about a suspension from school for possession of marijauna on school property. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but school suspension for drugs throws this whole scenario into a totally different level of discussion.

We do have racial bias and problems in this country. I never realized just how much so until I kept a bi-racial child for a friend. It does exist. It does need to be addressed. But at the same time, we have to be honest and fair in addressing situations. Life is sacred, whether it's the life of an unarmed drug-using teenager, or the innocent 15 year old shot in a drive-by shooting. But when we nationally protest what could possibly be self-defense and ignore the horror of a drive-by shooting which has no other motive than malice, what does that say about us as a society?

Comments

Lydia said…
Good post. Well thought out arguments. I'm in agreement, sad situation all around.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut