Skip to main content

a thousand years = yesterday

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

As a child I never understood this verse. The older I get, the more I comprehend how quickly time passes. Just this last week a friend commented that Disney's Arial/mermaid story is not classified as a "classic" or "antique" because it is officially 20 years old. WHAT?  I remember when that came out! I was in college and we watched it in the dorm lounge and laughed because one of the girls had the poster up in her room and the residence hall monitor made a construction paper top and covered Arial's top half during room inspections and that was...20 years ago. Sometimes it still seems like yesterday.

And in the midst of all this reflection, I read Genesis 5 that talks about Enoch/Enos (depending on the translation) who "was not, for God took him."  I've read that many a time, heard several sermons on it (Side Note: my favorite from age ten, hearing Connie Carriker's sermon at the Alabama State FWB meeting, where he was doing high kicks back and forth across the stage and pumping his arm with every point, and never missing a beat while yelling: "The Russians have their cosmonauts, the Americans have their astronauts, but we Christians should want to be the WASnots!"  On the way home I told Dad that man was WAY fatter than him, so why didn't Dad whoop and holler like that while preaching? It would be much more exciting. My Dad just replied "Hhmmpph.") but as a child had always pondered why it was such a big deal to be taken at such an old age. Reading that passage through this time, along with a historical footnote or two about other historical documents (non-biblical) that dealt with the longevity, the flood, and the decreasing life spans, it made me realize that Enoch's life ended 1/3 earlier than most people.  That would be like a 20 year old dying today. 

Years ago when our friend Will died, a senior in college, our church grieved and hurt like nothing I had ever seen. It didn't help any that he was an only child. That pain is still very poignant for those who were very close to him, though nowhere near like it was. I remember the questions, the shaking of heads, the tears...such a fervent,Christ-filled life...suddenly gone...and so young!  And yet, that was the way it was with Enoch. It suddenly gave me a different perspective on Will's death, as well as the death of 7 year old Lydia Byrd. Don't you think Enoch's friends and families felt the same way, even though he had lived many years? But God took him because "he walked with God."  Even if I live to be 100, I hope my name will not be listed with just a date and the fact I had no children, but that my life will be so extra-ordinarily different that people will have to make note of it.  

My mother-in-law made the statement recently that a long obituary really isn't necessary when a person dies, for people who know you will remember greatly how you impacted their lives and won't need to be reminded. I agree with her point. The things I remember about people are usually not what is mentioned in the obituary, but I also remember how important it was for me to have a clipping of my grandparents' obituaries in the paper. It was like learning about a secret life they had that I didn't know existed.


When I look at the time perspective, I'm certain the things I pester God with day in and day out seem like the petty whining of a child: it will all be irrelevant in a few years, which to him is just the blink of an eye. Which makes me wonder: do angels travel through time?

 





 

Comments

Becky said…
I still remember Will and when he died and the hurt and anguish that I know still lives on in his parents and even my Micah. Don't know if you know that our William is named for Will. And I also remember your hospitality in letting Kari and I stay at your house for the funeral.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut