Skip to main content

state fair, part one

While I didn't see half the exhibits I normally see while visiting the fair last night, I got to eat twice as much as I normally do! ;)

Lydia, my friend who likes to pose in crazy positions with food, eating her traditional chicken pita wrap.

And my special treat for the night...gator on a stick!  No, it didn't actually look like this, though it did taste a lot like chicken! :)

Would you believe that ALL of these are cupcakes?  I got the hotdog one (center). The bread is actually the cake, and the dog and icing are chocolate icing and yellow-colored buttercream icing. Not only was it cool looking, but it tasted good, too!

To help cut costs (and save our appetites), several of us split items, giving us the opportunity to try more things for less money!  My new fair favorite...mozzarella sticks.  I had tried them once in a restaurant and wasn't too crazy about them.  But the one I had at the fair was absolutely wonderful!  Deep-fried macaroni and cheese...don't think I'll try that one again, though it wasn't bad. But I did try a bit of Lydia's deep-fried snickers bar and was surprised...it was good! I might even consider replacing the Amish fudge with that next year.

And while the following picture isn't food we ate, it's food related so I'll show it here:
Carroll and Lydia with the hot dog statue. :)

Comments

Lydia said…
So much fun! I'm still full:) I just did my post, check it out!
Jennifer said…
I pulled this up and thought I was on Lydia's blog:)! Gotta love the fair!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut