Skip to main content

where i come from

in front of the al history museum (which i don't recommend visiting...not much there, and nothing like i remember as a child), are two signs. One, telling groups to stay with their guide and off the grass. Two, that they can climb on the huge stone map of Alabama (but warning, it can get hot).  Off the grass, on the signs...kind of fun in a wacky way.  But anyhoo, here's photographs of the area near my  neck of the woods:
yes, al has coal mines, a fact not many people know. my grandfather mined in both al and indiana, and suffered with black lung for many years. i'm not going to start naming others i know, as there's simply too many.  any piece of property sold in walker county, al comes with a note on the deed: Property rights do not include mineral rights. In other words, if the mining company who owns the mining rights decides to mine under your house, you can either accept their offer to buy your house and land and find another place to live, or your house will simply become unsuitable to live in and there's nothing you can do about it. that's just the way it is. my brother has been in the mines to repair machines, and he says it's like an entire city underground. a very small part of me thinks it would be cool to take a tour.

and i have to add birmingham because it's the city most people are familiar with, where we did our christmas shopping growing up, and is only 45 minutes southeast from my home.

and smith lake, which is where i lived until i was in the 3rd grade. it's a man-made lake. when they made the dam to create the lake, they flooded countless waterfalls in the area (i've heard my dad and uncles talk about them). they say that you can dive down 40-80 feet in smith lake and still come up on the tips of the tops of grown pine trees. when a person drowns there, it's often impossible to recover the body if they weren't wearing a life vest.  growing up i always heard the old men say if anyone wanted to dispose of a body and it never be found, they only had to weight it and dump it in smith lake or dump it way out in an abandoned strip pit (from the mines). thankfully walker county has few murders (and most are domestic disputes that happen at home); there was one "disappearance" of a high profile person that everyone believes to be a murder, but no body has ever been found. it was during the search for her that everyone speculated her body would be in one of those two places. that was many, many years ago, and she's still never been located.

Comments

Lydia said…
Ok- so who is that person? I bet tons of books have been written about what "may" have happened...

And I think I'd like to visit a coal mine once, just to understand what it is like to be underground like that. I know it was a way to make money but it had to be hard...it's mostly machines now though, right?
Monica said…
her name was carrie lawson, an attorney fresh out of law school. i think there was one book written about all the mistakes that happened with the investigation, but most of the conspiracy theories are spun in places where people congregate to talk. coal mining is a lot of machinery, but still requires a lot of people to work.

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut