Skip to main content

geometric designs

Below is a pattern that you commonly see in Amish quilts (but without the prints and in a full size).  When the blocks and colors are lined up correctly, it gives a scallop look. I was amazed at the difference made when the same pattern was used with a mixture of prints and solids. And it opens up a few possibilities on what I might do with some fabrics I have. :)

And a close up of the print.

 Quilts like the one above always intrigue me. The last quilt shop I went to with my mother-in-law had quite a few of this style on display.  She commented, "Quilts aren't what they used to be."  I don't know if it's the influence of modern art or the increasing number of men who are engineers that have joined their wives in quilt making that have made the difference. But I like it.
 The above quilt was a blue ribbon winner. It was in a section with a lot of other "modern" (i.e. strange in my book) quilts, but I loved this one and could see it in my house. I like the colors, the dots, the lines, and the quilted swirls. It makes me think of music.

The quilt below is another example of geometric designs that have influenced the world of quilts.I'm giving you the overall view of the quilt first. I like how it seems to be moving.
 
 Quilts are pieced in small sections called squares.  If you look closely above, you can see four squares that meet (look at the yellow, red, darker yellow, and orange bursts that meet on their flat sides and the surrounding area).  Once you break it down like that, the pattern doesn't seem quite so busy.  So how did it get to be so chaotic?

 You change the squares! Notice the small red square placed in the center above?  That throws all the squares off balance.  Same pattern, just adjusted with one very small square.
 I also like the swirls quilted around the circles. It reminds me of heat rising off pavement and adds to the movement feeling.
I'm not a big fan of the above quilt. The colors are not my favorite, and it's a little too Dr. Seussy for me. But I do like how you can make something flat like fabric appear to be dimensional, just by the way you use color and blocks.
And this just made me smile. The fan pattern is a VERY traditional quilt. This quilter flipped the fans in different directions and tilted the inside blocks at an angle, giving it a very different feel. The outside border is also flipped backwards, as well as curved. I love this, though I know others hated it.

Quilting ain't what it used to be. I don't know whether or not the geometric craze in quilts is a trend that will last or that others will look back on and shudder, but I think it fits our time, as well as makes life a little interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut