Skip to main content

on the 1st day of Christmas

For the next 12 Days Leading up to Christmas, I'm going to highlight things that have been on my ever crazy mind this holiday season.

On the first day of Christmas: sheep

Sheep are stupid.  Sheep stink. Sheep are dirty.  As a child, when I heard comparisons of people to sheep in the Bible, I thought it was a wonderful description.  After all, what could be better than to be a white or black fluffy animal, all soft and cuddly?
Then one day in China while biking with my students in the countryside, we encountered a herd of sheep. There was no shepherd; they roam freely. They saw us on our bicycles, and then decided to follow us. My students told me to ride uphill, quickly. Did I mention I don't bike very well, especially on a bike with skinny wheels? So I took the lower path, and the sheep overtook me.  Literally.  I came to a stop, and all these dirty, stinky, ugly animals that are as tall as my thigh are bleating and bumping me and then decided not to follow me and surrounded me.  I was starting to get a little scared.  One of my students yelled out "ride fast!" so I did, fearful of running over a sheep the whole time.  But it worked.  It spooked them, and they all ran off.

I thought about sheep again this week as our choir did the cantata from Max Lucado's writings and Tom Fettke's music. 
There is one night that describes the night He came - ordinary....The sheep were ordinary. Some fat. Some scrawny. Some with barrel bellies. Some with twig legs. Common animals. No fleece made of gold. No history makers. No blue-ribbon winners. They were simply sheep - lumpy, sleeping silhouettes on a hillside...
An ordinary lamb. Ordinary animals that provided warmth, material, food - sustenance.  And when a "perfect" animal from this ordinary group was found, it became salvation and forgiveness for one year.  I had never thought about the fact that the sheep, who were present with the shepherds to hear the angelic proclamation, were hearing that the ultimate sacrificial lamb had arrived. I doubt they realized or even understood (although the donkey did understand and see the "invisible" angel long before its master did!), but this fact stood out to me.  It's these little details that I love about Scripture. You read them, don't truly think about them, but when you start thinking about all the implications of a passage it is really neat and astounding.

On the first day of Christmas, my True Love gave to me, a great big herd of bleating, dumb sheep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut