Skip to main content

IronBowl 2010

For non-Alabama natives, the IronBowl is THE game of the year. It is the day which the other 364 days revolve around. It is one of the two days no one in their right mind would attempt to get married on (the other being first day of deer season), and the day everything somewhat stops, including Black Friday shopping.  If you thought the after 3pm sales were created for everyone, you're wrong.  It was to give people something to do to release pent up energy after the game that Friday. 
In the state of Alabama, you must choose one of two teams: Alabama or Auburn.  Anyone who doesn't shows they are either a poorly watered transplant or simply an alien. And a mixed marriage in Alabama has nothing to do with race; it means an Auburn fan married and Alabama fan.
My husband likes the t-shirt that says "Alabama - we don't play football.  We LIVE it!" And sadly, it's true.
And then there's me. Football is an interesting thing.  But I don't live it.
I helped feed the frenzy with cookie cutters in elephant and tiger paw shapes, along with football helmets and the state of Alabama.  My nephew and niece got creative by creating scoreboards, even going so far as to etch in their predicted scores.  And I enjoyed all the football food. :)
And then came gametime.  And I horrified certain family members (but not my Mom, who heartily approved) by QUILTING during the game. It's a wonder they didn't send me to the mental hospital! If that weren't bad enough, I then proceeded to be "rational" about a few things (such as questionable ref calls, etc), which prompted a few people to question my Alabama "fan" status.  And posting the following picture of my cousin's shirt (which I thought was cute) will probably forever seal my status as a counterfeit fan (and could even start false charges of "traitor"), but so be it.
I think the tiger looks like Hobbes from Watterson's Calvin & Hobbes comic strip, and I really like the polka dots. It actually gives a football shirt a fun look (fun meaning something other than football here, which yes, I realize is an absurd statement).
I would have loved for Bama to win, but quite honestly, they played like they spent the day before eating turkey all day long.  And now that Auburn won, I hope they keep their undefeated status and make it all the way to winners of the championship team.  Heresy, I know, but in my mind they're just as much from Alabama as I am, and I liked the way their coach gave God the credit for things. I'm even more thankful that Auburn's quarterback has been cleared of corruption charges, and think all the $Cam Newton Alabama shirts ought to be burned.  How tasteless can we be?
Meanwhile, there's always next year.
Roll Tide Roll.

Comments

Carroll said…
Oh Monica. You get football. I love you!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut