Skip to main content

the giving of thanks

This will probably be my last post until the Monday after Thanksgiving (unless my withdrawals become so severe that next Friday at my sister's while I'm supposed to be watching Alabama's most sacred television broadcast, the Iron Bowl, I dare to fight the slow speed internet connection in hopes of attempting to blog.).

I started out today early with Bobby having a 7am meeting.  I actually got a few things done before heading to church for a 9am instrument practice.  Have I ever told you how much I enjoy playing with Danielle? She jumped WAY out of her comfort zone for me with this new Christmas duet we're trying, and today was our first day to try it together with the accompaniment, and I was SOOOO pleased with how it sounded! Of course, Dave graciously hammered out my rhythms for me and brought the tempo down to help us get the notes.  And on top of that, Danielle switched from playing one instrument (the bass clarinet) from the Thanksgiving song to the Christmas piece (the Bflat clarinet) with VERY little difficulty! I don't think I could have done that!

Then we headed to Lumberton (the "halfway" point between here and my older sister's house) to meet up with my sis and nieces for lunch (delivering items to the Children's Home where my brother-in-law works, as well as a birthday package for my niece), and then to head home.  We actually had to make a detour at Mrs. Bryan's on the way home, for the stow-away kittens Bobby brought home from her house Thursday night decided to take another trip and ended up going to Lumberton with us.  They are now safely back at home.  Well, they are physically safe, though the blonde kitten is now very skittish, whereas she wasn't before. But I will happily sleep tonight without waking up to pouncing kittens going crazy in the garage.

Now we're home, trying to get things lined up for tomorrow and our trip on Monday. 
So in honor of the holidays next week, my list of thanks:
  • that I have a hope, thanks to Christ
  • that I have a Comforter who is with me in difficult situations
  • that I have an imagination
  • that I have a church family
  • that God blessed me with Godly parents
  • for my siblings & their crews
  • for my husband
  • for transportation that doesn't involve body scanners or butt checks
  • for fast food restaurants
  • for music
  • for good books, and semi-good movies
  • for material and the people who think up creative quilt patterns
  • for the patience God gave my husband
  • for my mother-in-law
  • that I live close to a nice shopping center
  • that I live in America
  • for doctors (even though I complain about them and our healthcare set-up, we've still got one of the better healthcare systems in the world)
  • for the gift of sleep and rejuvenation
  • for Dr. Pepper
  • for chocolate
  • for Facebook
  • for holidays
In everything give thanks!!! :) Happy Thanksgiving!
oh, and RooooooooLLLLLLLL TTiiiiiiiiiiDDDDDee  rrrrrrooooooooooOLLLLL!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut