Skip to main content

arrogance in the first degree

I think I've mentioned more than once my Mom's opinion that if you hear the same thing (whether it be via sermon, friend's conversation, personal devotions, what-have-ye), then God's clearly trying to tell you something.  And that my friends, is a little scary.

Many years ago while finishing up my associate's degree at Wake Tech, I had to take a portfolio class. For pieces in our portfolio, we were supposed to actually design and print items for a company, whether it be as a real job or on a volunteer basis.  During this time frame, someone from a non-profit organization spoke in the church I was attending. They were on a very tight budget, and had this hand-out that was extremely boring and not cheap to produce. I took it home, modified it, updated its look, and at the next meeting where I knew the leader of that organization would be, I took him a printed sample, along with the file on CD in case he wanted to use it. I explained to him what my job was and the project. He seemed offended, and a pastor friend of ours who was standing next to him kind of snorted, rolled his eyes, and said, "Don't you just hate people like that?"
I never meant to offend, I was trying to help, hoping to use my talents to assist in advancing "kingdom work", but in their eyes I was arrogantly stating the work they had done was not good enough.

This past week someone shared with me a similar story, only this person was on the opposite side of the fence. I couldn't help but think back to my earlier situation. The reality is, I was so focused on doing a good job and being helpful that I lost sight of the people in the position. And sadly, I've done that on many occasions. It all boils down to pride.  But on the other side of the coin, there has to be an equal amount of arrogance on the receiving end for a person to think they have it so together that they cannot benefit from suggestions or assistance. I think of David when he desired to defend the name of the Lord from Goliath's attacks.  He listened to Saul, accepted his offer of his personal armor, even tried it on, BEFORE he decided it wouldn't work.

I have to confess that I prefer to try things my way before I'll give something else a try.  Don't believe me? Just ask my husband what it's like when I'm trying to work on his wheelchair and we have different viewpoints (both literally and figuratively, haha) and ideas on how it should be repaired.

I will probably struggle with the sins of pride and selfishness until the day I am freed from this sin-cursed body. I like to think that the day I die there will be significantly less of both of those sins in my thoughts and actions. But in the meantime, it's the war of the flesh, as the Apostle Paul aptly phrased it.

So if you hear another sermon, ladies' devotional, Wednesday night Bible study or personal conversation on the topic of pride in the church, I might be to blame.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I had a very similar talk with someone about this yesterday!! Are we on the same page, or was this a discussion that took place yesterday?
Monica said…
I guess we're just on the same page! I don't remember us discussing this at Lyds, though several times we had multiple conversations going at once!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut