Skip to main content

Yao - second tone

The Chinese word Yao, (pronounced yow, but in 2nd tone (with the voice descending) is translated into English as our verb "want, need".  That always threw me for a dilemma.  I was clearly taught the difference between the two words growing up.  Our parents were forever saying, "No, you don't NEED that.  You just want it.  You will not die before the day is out if you don't have it.  Therefore it is not a need."  And yet for the Chinese, the two words are interchangeable. I asked a student about it once, and she laughed and said something about there being a difference between greed and desire. I took it to mean that you shouldn't want something you don't really need.  But with human nature being what it is, is such a thing possible?

We've discussed this subject quite a bit the last few weeks in our household, and yesterday I learned a friend has been contemplating this same issue as well.  I struggle with how much to save and how much to share, how often to spend and and how often to give, what is enabling and what is assisting.  I still don't have easy answers. I guess growing up in a pastor's home I saw so many people attempt to abuse charity that I'm a little jaded toward helping others.  The family that cried no money for groceries but then grumbled because Dad took them cabbage, potatoes, canned vegetables and milk. They didn't eat those foods.  The family that needed help paying their light bill but then their child showed up to school wearing expensive name brand sneakers while I sported Pic'n'pay hand-me-downs.  The lady on the news who complained about not having money to pay for the gas to heat her house, then followed it up by saying no one should have to choose between having a nice birthday party for her child or paying the heat bill.  The lady who tearfully requested prayer at church because they were having to eat generic brand foods while her husband was on the strike line (and I'm sitting there dumbfounded because that was all our family could afford!) and the list goes on and on.

I've learned a lot this week. I listened to a dear friend lovingly instruct someone on stewardship. It's so easy to forget I know the Biblical principles of "don't work, don't eat" and "labor to show yourself approved" because somewhere along the way my parents, teachers, and Godly family members TAUGHT me.  "Teaching them to observe all things..." is part of the Great Commission.  When we fail to instruct those who simply don't know, we're failing in our job of teaching and making disciples.  I'm becoming more convinced than ever that includes the area of finances. It includes every area of our life if I stop and think about it.

It's hard to get involved in the nitty gritty of people's lives.  That means investing time and energy and emotion, things I often seem short of.  And as I've seen over and over, not everyone wants to be taught.  Some simply want a hand-out.  But what kind of excuse am I giving God when I say, "Umm, sorry.  I didn't bother to teach them your stewardship principles because I was afraid they'd either get mad or ignore me."  I'm sure that will go over about as well as me telling my mother I didn't give my sister the message to fold the clothes because I knew my sister either wouldn't do it or would yell at me.  Yeah, right.  I had a job to do and I better do it or else.

I don't have the answers. We still struggle and pray about the best ways to assist and help those in need, and ask for discernment about the truly needed and those who simply need because they fulfilled to many desires and wants. Even though we have two words for this in the English language, sometimes it's not so easy to truly distinguish them in reality.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I can totally understand. You want to help people, but yet it is hard when you see them act that way. I try to give because I would want someone to help if we were in that boat. I struggle though too....my struggle is helping someone and never receiving a simple "thank you". It's not easy, but I have to realize I'm doing things for the Lord and not to get praise from man....but it is hard. In fact, it reminds me how much more I need to help people!!
Lydia said…
Good post, Monica. Lots I want to say and lots going through my mind right now:) As always:)

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut