Skip to main content

procrastination station

If it weren't for procrastination, I'd never get anything done.

Yep, you read that correctly, and I didn't mistype.

You see, if I never, ever procrastinated, then I would never start a new project. I would methodically finish whatever I was doing at the time, instead of being awed by the creative thought of something new.

If I never, ever procrastinated, then my time would be spent cleaning every nook and cranny of the house ALL the time, and I would never tackle wonderful projects, such as quilts, or yard work, or chicken pens, etc.

If I never, ever procrastinated, that would mean I would probably have a better sense of time and wouldn't over commit myself, which would again mean I wouldn't get as much done.

So procrastination, at least in my world, means I get more accomplished.

It also means I'm suddenly finding myself very, very busy this month. Crunch time is upon us, and I can feel the blood flowing and my creative juices warming up. I don't know what it is about the pressure of a deadline, but it makes me work faster and think more creatively. It also drives my methodical husband crazy, for he never waits to the last minute or leaves a task unfinished. The only instance in which we both methodically do things early is our Christmas shopping, which we normally have finished by now. We're running a little behind in that arena this year, but with October roaring by like a freight train, finishing up our Christmas shopping may have to be one of our November projects.

And having said that, I either need to return to the kitchen and finish cleaning. Or I could head to the gym - the kitchen will still be patiently waiting on me when I return. It's very good about that.

Comments

Lydia said…
I'm having this problem lately...trying to decide which task is more important. Homeschool comes first, then housework, but I REALLY need to get started on those homemade Christmas ideas I have for everyone. And then there's the garlands for my bedroom and the painting for the fireplace- all this needs to be done before the New Year. AUGHHHHHH.....OH! And painting two rooms in my house. GRrrr..

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut