Skip to main content

eating habits

When I was a young child (before third grade, that is), my family traveled through some curves in life's road. My Dad was struggling with whether or not God was calling him to preach, Mom had cancer, and then in the midst of it all, the company of the store Dad managed sold out. It may just be my child's warped sense of time, but it seemed to me that it was during this time frame that Dad initiated the "three bite" rule.
We were not allowed to make a face or say yuck to anything on the table, and regardless of whether or not we liked it, we had to eat three bites of everything served. Since Mom fixed our plates, that meant we basically had to clean our plate. And yes, countless battles ensued - Me vs. the Macaroni & cheese, Andy vs. the broccoli, Me vs. saur kraut and wiennies, Merinda vs. any breakfast food. I don't seem to remember Naomi whining about foods.
Today my three ABRO kids were joined by three others. At lunch I noticed my three watching me to see how I would react to the other's eating habits. One pulled the meat and cheese out of her hamburger. She ate her lettuce and bread and french fries, so I let it go. #2 pulled all her lettuce out of her hamburger, but ate everything else. #3 ate her french fries and wasn't going to eat anything else about the same time Aleh decided half his french fries was enough, so I pulled rank. I told her she had to eat three bites of her hamburger and she could be finished. She look astonished, and my three started laughing. She did it, though. And Aleh in turn ate half of his, despite his sighing and rolling of eyes.
I don't think I'm mean. I try to find foods they like and serve them a healthy balance. But the fact remains that if I only let them eat what they wanted, they would only eat ice cream, pizza, spaghetti, chips, bananas, and drink sodas. I try to make sure they get somewhat close to the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables, but they don't like it in the least. And I now understand my parent's frustration. There's nothing more infuriating than to work all day, come home, stand over a hot stove, and then to hear someone exclaim, "Yuck!"
And while I never thought I'd say this as a child, I think I benefited greatly from learning to eat foods that I didn't like. China comes to mind, but also settings in homes where you never know what will be served. Manners matter, and those things must be taught in childhood.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I need to teach my kids that rule. They like me are picky eaters! It does hurt my feelings when I try something new and they won't eat it.
sara said…
I agree with you! I was made to eat everything, like it or not. A lot of the time the kids think they don't like it, try it and find out they do. Too bad for them that we are in charge :) (actually good for them that we are in charge...)
Carroll said…
good for you! If we didn't eat our food, it was brought right back out the next time we said that we were hungry. Mama even did it with cereal to convince my brother that he didn't need a GIANT bowl full of cheerios. He learned his lesson after he had to eat soggy cereal... : )
Lydia said…
I really struggle with this since Kimberly is an EXTREMELY picky eater. It does hurt my feelings when I work hard to make things that are good AND healthy and then she doesn't want it. She actually uses the word "gross." We are working on it as a family and we also have a rule that everything must be tried, even if you already know you don't like it. It's funny that you didn't like mac n' cheese, Monica because I thought Kimberly was the only kid in the world who didn't like it!

Popular posts from this blog

things we do for love

Saturday we had a baby shower for Bobby's niece. As I was making the mints, Bobby asked what else was on the menu. After I recited off the litany of items, he responded with "No peanut butter?! This shower is for Hannah! What's she going to eat?" (Hannah has had stomach problems over the years and has been unable to tolerate many foods, but peanut butter has been her staple.) Despite my assurances that she would enjoy the foods we were having, he was adamant that I needed to make peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the shower. Even though I protested that NOBODY took that to a shower, he persisted, and informed me I could make them dainty with my little cutter. And so I did. To my surprise all but 3 were eaten. Who'd a thunk it?

get your house in order

My grandmothers were very clean people. My mother thoroughly enjoys cleaning, though she doesn't quite hit the same level my grandmothers were on. I don't enjoy cleaning, but I do like things to be clean. I've almost given up on neatness. One thing that they all instilled in me is the crazy concept that your house must be in order before you go somewhere big - like a vacation or something. After all, you could die in a car crash or have to go to the hospital, and then people would go into your house and find it in a terrible mess. Who wants to be remembered by that? So up until this past year, I would sometimes be up almost all night not only trying to get things packed up, but also trying to totally clean house as well. Or should I say, make the house presentable? The Chinese had a horrible superstition that my mother and grandparents would have enjoyed. Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar) required EVERYTHING to be cleaned top to

Wait...it's almost March?!?

 10 more months 'til Christmas. This last month has been an absolute blur. Cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, cleaning at our house, lots of thinking and brainstorming and rearranging, appointments upon appointments, sinus infection/allergies, Bobby's surgery, meeting with surgeon and finally agreeing to future outpatient surgery for me, ongoing updates from my parents, garden tilled and snow peas, potatoes and beets planted (and yes I left several rows empty between the potatoes and beets for something else to go later as a buffer), chickens are laying, we may have a broody hen..in FEBRUARY!!!, we have two roosters that need to disappear, lots of family have been in from out of town to assist with the sorting and cleaning at Mrs. Bryan's house, and somewhere in the midst of it all I've found time to pay bills and catch up on a few emails. While I no longer feel like our house is a disaster zone, it is still overwhelming. Years ago a friend posted a quote by Martin Lut